What is in a name?

My Adoption Story

People do a double-take when I introduce myself as Tom Yamaguchi. How did a white guy get a Japanese last name? They usually ask if I speak Japanese, and I have to admit that I do not. They may also ask if I am Caucasian, to which I reply, "No, my ancestors are from Ireland, not Caucasia." I took the name at the age of nineteen when I was adopted by Tadashi and Alice Yamaguchi.

In 1950, I was born Thomas Francis Campbell, Jr. in South Jersey, named for my father Thomas Francis Campbell. I am actually the second son in the family. My older brother is named Joseph, which is the first name of our maternal grandfather. My father Tom Campbell was a union carpenter from a large Philadelphia family. His father, Thomas Sylvester Campbell, died when he was very young, and my dad was forced to quit school early to learn the carpentry trade and support the family. He built our first family home in Barrington, New Jersey. One problem with being a construction worker in New Jersey was his employment was frequently affected by the weather. It was always a big deal if Dad had an "indoors" job. That meant he was able to work if it was raining or snowing that day. If the construction site required him to work outdoors he had to stay home when the weather was bad.

One of Dad's brothers was an ironworker who moved his family to San Diego in the mid-1950s. He told Dad about San Diego's warm, dry climate, making it an ideal place to do construction work. Dad expressed interest in moving there, too. My brother, two sisters, and I enthusiastically supported the idea. "Swimming pools, movie stars," as they say on TV. I especially wanted to go to Disneyland and was jealous of my uncle's family who had visited the park a number of times.

In late 1963, just after the Kennedy assassination, my family made the move to San Diego and found a house just a few blocks from my uncle. Mom was pregnant when we made the move, and my younger brother John was born shortly after we settled down.

Things did not turn out the way my father had hoped. San Diego was just going into a recession when we made the move. In addition, my father, a union carpenter, discovered that the carpenter's union in San Diego was much weaker than my uncle's ironworker's union. Unable to compete with nonunion labor, Dad found himself looking for work outside the area. He went up to the San Francisco Bay Area, then to Portland. Finally, he ended up back in Philadelphia, leaving us in San Diego as he worked to keep a roof over our heads. My mother was not too happy about this. She was homesick for New Jersey as soon as she arrived in San Diego. She had few friends and felt isolated. She finally had enough and decided to sell the house and move back to the East Coast.

When the house was sold in 1968, I was still in high school and had a year to go. I would have graduated that year if I had not repeated the second grade. My older brother was 21 and attending San Diego State. He was able to stay by renting a room from a State teacher he met at the La Jolla Quaker Meeting. I wanted to stay because I had made a number of good friends at Mission Bay High. Reluctantly, I returned with my family to South Jersey.

As soon as I returned, I wanted to come back to San Diego. I hated my high school, especially the gym class where I was humiliated and gay bashed by the other boys. Gym class itself was more like boot camp. We were all being taught how to march in formation and take orders barked at us by the Drill Instructor/Coach. I figured the school was preparing its male students to be drafted into the Army and then shipped off to Vietnam.

I pleaded with my brother Joe to help me get back to San Diego. He relented and intervened on my behalf with my parents. My parents gave me $2,000 to help me get established in my new independence. In January of 1969 while the Nixons were moving into the White House, I was on a jet flying back to California.

My brother arranged for me to stay with cousins of my father's family who lived in Del Mar, just north of San Diego. They operated a convalescent home for jockeys of the Del Mar Racetrack. I earned my housing by caring for the jockeys at the home. Some were retired, and others were recuperating from job-related accidents. I was able to attend my old high school by catching a ride with a teacher who lived in Del Mar. This worked very well for a couple of months, but then my cousins decided they needed my room to board another injured jockey. Suddenly, I needed a place to stay, and I was placed in a boarding house in San Diego's North Park neighborhood.

I was able to get to school by public transit. The boarding house was run by an older married couple. I could never see what they saw in each to stay married for so long. They had nothing in common. The husband was a gentle, political liberal who loved watching the Smothers Brothers on Sunday night. His conservative wife was a sourpuss who henpecked her husband. She charged me $400 a month for the room that I shared with another young man. Not having an income, I was quickly burning through the money my parents gave me.

Things were not looking good for me. That is when Alice and Tad Yamaguchi came to my rescue. They found me thanks to my brother Joe. I had been asking my brother to allow me to attend Quaker meetings with him. At first he turned down my request. Then on Easter Sunday, he asked me if I would like to attend mass at the old San Diego Mission. I had stopped attending mass when my family moved back to New Jersey, but I took him up on his invitation. We drove out to the mission in the Joe's VW Bug. After about a half hour of the mass, Joe turned to me and said, "I'm bored. Would you like to go to Quaker meeting with me?" We got back into the Bug and drove to La Jolla Meeting.

I loved silent worship and persuaded Joe to take me there every week. One Sunday after worship, Joe told me that he was speaking to Tad and Alice about my situation, and they wanted to help. At first sight, the two looked like a mismatched couple themselves. Tad was a short Japanese-American, unimposing and shy. Alice was a large-framed woman with big glasses, a big smile, and a big voice that spoke in a strong southern accent. I learned that her parents were divorced, and she grew up in both Philadelphia with her father's family and in North Carolina with her mother.

When Alice found out about my situation at the boarding house, she knew she had to get me out of there. I would move in with them. We went with their young son Mark Nathan to get my few possessions from the boarding house, but the first stop was an afternoon at Balboa Park where we watched male Flamenco dancers in tight pants. Alice was so excited by the dancing she broke into big tears of joy. She was not afraid to express her feelings both verbally and physically. Next stop was the boarding house. Alice was particularly upset that my landlady was rationing how much milk I could drink each day. After collecting my things, we hopped back into their Toyota with the windows rolled up. As we drove from the curb, the landlady stood on the sidewalk and waved. Alice waved back and with a big smile exclaimed, "Goodbye Shit Face!" Rescue complete, we drove off to my new home in Poway.

In addition to Tad, Alice, and their son Mark Nathan, there were two other young men living in the house. This was my first experience with communal living. The two young men, Bernie and David, were students at UCSD in La Jolla. Tad worked as a nuclear chemist at General Atomics located near the college. The three of them carpooled to La Jolla each day.

I was still intent on graduating from Mission Bay High. I found a ride with a teacher who lived in Poway. That was my morning commute. To get home after school, I took the bus to UCSD and waited in the library of the Physics Building for the carpool back to Poway. I frequently had my homework finished when Bernie and David arrived at the library.

Life was never dull at the Yamaguchi house. Alice enjoyed hosting dinner parties where I met very brilliant and talented people. Alice loved to cook Japanese cuisine, introducing me to such delights as tofu and sashimi. They had one friend, Ben Wright, who was an English teacher at San Diego State. At one party, Ben brought the Spanish writer, Juan Goytisolo who did not speak any English. I regretted my failure to learn Spanish in school. I regretted it even more when I learned Goytisolo was one of the first gay activists in Spain.

I did graduate from Mission Bay in 1969. That summer, I got a job washing dishes at a restaurant in Rancho Bernardo, just north of Poway, and got to work on an old one-speed bicycle. I was accepted to attend San Diego State in the fall, but there was a problem. Being under 21 years old, I was not able to claim myself as a resident of California. As far as the California State University system was concerned, my residency was determined by where my father lived. My father, Thomas F. Campbell, was living in New Jersey. If I wanted to attend college in California, I was expected to pay out-of-state tuition. I did not have the hundreds of dollars I would need to stay in school and was very afraid for my future. There was more than college at stake. I had the draft breathing down my neck, as well.

My high school had failed to report my attendance to Selective Service. Even before I graduated that spring, I received a notice that I was classified 1-A. That summer I was ordered to take a pre-induction physical in Los Angeles. This was the first time I considered coming out of the closet, but I was too afraid of the consequences of revealing my homosexuality. The Stonewall riots happened just a few weeks before, but the news did not get to me in conservative San Diego County. I kept quiet about my orientation and passed the physical.

Another solution was needed for my college and draft problems, and, for Alice, the solution was simple. "We'll adopt you," she said. Then my father would not only be a Californian, but a native Californian, having been born and raised on a farm in Cucamonga. During World War II, Tad and his family were interned in a camp along the Colorado River, but that is another story.

In addition to me, Tad and Alice wanted to adopt Grizzelda, a young woman from Mexico who prefers being called Gracie. David, one of the college students, was her off-and-on boyfriend. She moved in with us while she was being threatened with deportation. She was brought to the U.S. as a child by First Day Adventists. She attended an S.D.A. boarding school and worked in the school's laundry. Alice said the school abused her and called her a "dirty Mexican." Like me, Gracie was ready to be rescued. Alice learned that, even though she was 21, she was still legally adoptable. Adopting both us at the same time, we could do two for the price of one.

Unfortunately, the adoption did not work out for Gracie. She was told she would still have to return to Mexico and wait for her residency to be approved. She ended up solving her problem by marrying a U.S. citizen.

The adoption process took longer than we thought, as well. It was not complete when I showed up to register at San Diego State. The attorney decided I was still not a resident. So I had to give up on State. Instead, I enrolled at Palomar Junior College as Thomas Yamaguchi and lied about the adoption being finalized. The adoption was complete shortly after I started school, and I earned my college deferment. When the draft lottery was enacted, I received a number so high I no longer needed the college deferment. Still, I know that if I had not gone to school that fall, I would have ended up in the military and possibly Vietnam.

At first, my parents were supportive of the adoption. They were willing to do anything they thought would help their son make it on his own. I thought they understood the legal implications of the adoption, but unfortunately they later changed their minds and felt betrayed. They even accused Alice of unethically stealing me away from them. I considered changing my name back to Campbell, but by then I had a daughter Dharma with the Yamaguchi last name. Changing it back would have been more complicated than keeping it.

In time, I was able to resolve the issue with my parents. We became closer as I visited them toward the end of their lives. They moved to Biloxi to be near my youngest sister Eileen. My father was dying of lung disease as a result of his exposure to asbestos, both in the Navy and as a civilian construction worker. He smoked cigarettes most of his life. He quit when he was in his sixties, but the damage was already done. He told me he had started smoking when he was eight. He would run errands for the neighbors in Philadelphia who would then pay him in cigarettes. He joined the class action suit against the asbestos manufacturers and shared in the settlement. Sadly, the payments have been structured so that we are still waiting for the rest of the money years after Dad died.

After Dad left us, I knew Mom would follow shortly. Mom lived totally for him. Without him, she lost her will to live. She kept a photo of him as a young man on the mantle and told me she had lengthy conversations with him as she sat by the picture. "I can see his lips move," she told a number of times. Even before Dad died she was homesick for New Jersey. Mom had no friends in Biloxi and was overly dependant on her daughter's family.

My relationship with Tad and Alice changed through the years, as well. Alice bought a house in Burlington, Vermont. Eventually, she and Tad divorced. Tad lives in Del Mar, but has not communicated with me or anyone else in our family for many years. Alice became a Quaker peace activist and world traveler. She returned to using her maiden name Wiser. Her son Mark Nathan dropped the first name and the Yamaguchi name, as well. Today, he is Nathan Wiser, a geologist for the EPA in Denver. If it wasn't for Nathan I would have lost track of Alice forever.

Before computers, I was a very disorganized person. I lost Alice's phone number and address in Vermont. A decade after I moved my family to Berkeley, we were riding our bicycles along Telegraph Avenue, jut a few blocks south of the Cal campus. I rode past a car with a personalized license plate that read IM WISER. What a coincidence, I thought. The car owner is named Wiser. The car was stopped for the light. As I rode past, I looked into the car. The woman in the passenger seat looked like Alice. Immediately I realized it was Alice. She was visiting her son who was just about to graduate from Cal with a BA in geology. She was surprised to see me, as well. I was surprised to learn that, after her divorce from Tad, she married Bernie, one of the young college students we lived with in Poway. Bernie is a Canadian who earned his Ph.D. in physics at UCSD. He now teaches at the University of Guelph.

Alice took Dharma with her to Friends General Conference and other cross-country adventures in the summer of 1990. I stayed in her house in Burlington while they were gone. Shortly after that, she moved to a recently deceased uncle's house in Springfield, just outside of Philadelphia. She helped Dharma get into a Quaker high school that specialized in assisting students with learning disabilities. Dharma lived with Alice in Springfield while attending school.

Reconnecting with Alice became my motivation to return to Quakerism. I stopped attending La Jolla Meeting as my family moved around San Diego. After relocating to the Bay Area, I had thought of attending Berkeley Meeting, but no one else in my family was interested in coming with me, and I did not want to attend alone. With Dharma interested in Quakerism, I started attending Strawberry Creek Meeting in Berkeley. Dharma and I are now members of that meeting.

Alice died of breast cancer in 1995. Her marriage to Bernie allowed her dual citizenship and access to Canadian health care. Sadly, she lost her battle with the disease before she could enjoy old age. Still, she packed more living in her half century on Earth than most people do in 80 or 90 years. She had traveled all over the world and earned a Ph.D. in Psychology from Oxford. Her ashes are buried in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

Alice's favorite movie was Auntie Mame. It has become one of my favorites, too. Alice was my Auntie Mame. She opened doors for me that I never knew existed. I will always be grateful. She gave me life experiences that I will never forget and a last name that makes it easy for others to remember me.

Thomas Campbell, Jr.


Tom and Anna Campbell

Alice Wiser


Return to Home Page